This latest post in a series about iPhone/iPod Touch apps for English learners (see below for previous posts) looks at vocabulary and spelling apps. Although there are quite a few apps for preparing SATs tests and the like, there are very few, if any, specifically for EFL/ESL. Here are a few worth checking out.
• Word List 101 ($0.99) Over 1800 words, their meanings, synonyms and examples of usage on flashcards. The words tend to be the sort you need for admission tests (GRE, GMAT, SAT), and some would flummox many native speakers, e.g., abrade, gainsay, pellagra.
• Vocabulary Cartoons ($0.99) Uses mnemonics based on humorous cartoons and rhyming words to present 580 words. Once again, some words are ones you do not come across every day (peccadillo, chattel, bilk). A free 'lite' version is also available.
• My Word Coach ($4.99) Offers a fun and challenging way to improve verbal skills through a series of engaging activities and exercises. Activities include word recognition, spelling challenges and vocabulary definition, including 16,800 words from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary. My Word Coach also adapts its difficulty level to match your skills, and monitors and rewards your progress to help you express yourself better.
• TOEIC Master Vocab Guide ($5.99) Contains over 2,500 vocabulary items drawn from past papers. All words come with detailed definitions, explanations, IPA & example sentences. Other features include:
- British and American pronunciations of all headwords in real native voice
- Random quizzes drawn from the vocabulary dataset, giving you unlimited practice
- Detailed score display & analysis to help you to review & remember
- Bookmark function allowing personal notes on searched words enabling you to better organize and centralize learning resources
- History to let you easily keep track of searched words