Ian Pryer has some great ideas for using this amusing ad with business studies students on the tutor2U Business Studies blog, but there are also a lot of cultural and linguistic points (all those abbreviations, for example) which could be exploited with more advanced learners of English. Here's the transcript:
PAMELA : Andy. Hi, Pamela.
ANDY : Hi.
PAMELA : Your payroll number is WP63. Lifts, stationery and your ID. Admin on 2, Finance on 3. You’re on 1, I’m on 5. HR, PR, IT, WC. We don’t usually use more than one towel, Andy. Your phone. Flashing red: caller holding. Constant green: line active. Security code is Irene’s birthday. Contract, pension, life insurance. Your team: Larry, Barry, Lisa, Carrie, Cliff, Bert, Sybil and Bob.
ANDY: Big Mac meal, please.
ID - Identification
Admin = Administration
HR = Human Resources
PR = Public Relations
IT = Information Technology
WC = Water Closet, i.e., toilets
• What sort of company is Andy starting work with?
• What image does the ad give of the company culture?
• Would you like to work for a company like this? Why (not)?
• How do you think Andy feels at the start of the ad? And at the end?
• Talk about your first day in a new job.
• What message does the ad give about McDonald's?