The New York Times Learning Network blog has a fantastic list of 163 discussion questions taken from its regular Student Opinion feature. Each question is based on content from the NYT and links to the relevant article. The questions can be used to help students practice writing (in class, for homework, or in an online forum), as inspiration for lessons, or as jumping-off points for class discussions and debates. Here are the first ten questions:
- Do Apps Help You or Just Waste Your Time?
- Do You Keep a Diary or Journal?
- Should Schools Offer Cash Bonuses for Good Test Scores?
- Would You Like to Take a Class Online?
- Are Children of Illegal Immigrants Entitled to a Public Education?
- What Is Your Personal Credo?
- How Do You Personalize the Things You’re Required to Have at School?
- Should Students Be Required to Take Drug Tests?
- Do You Participate in Class?
- Do Attractive People Have Advantages Others Don’t?
In case you were wondering, the word cloud above was created at www.tagxedo.com (by the NYT not me!).