© Chappatte in "International Herald Tribune"
The cartoon shows the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. The whole area is flooded. Obama and Romney are on a floating stage, taking part in a debate. The moderator says, "Oh, and one thing we forgot to mention; climate change ..."
The irony of the situation comes from the fact that global warming was an issue that was totally absent from the presidential debates, although both Obama and Romney have expressed a view that global warming is real. However, there is a widespread belief that Hurricane Sandy was caused by climate change. As Bloomberg Businessweek's cover story puts it; "It's Global Warming, Stupid".
1. You can find more cartoons connecting Hurricane Sandy with climate change at the Cagle Post.
2. Watch this talk in which Chappatte tells us about his background and discusses some of his cartoons.
Since the presidential candidates didn't want to debate climate change, why not get your students to do it? The motion could be: This house believes that global warming is a myth. Divide the class into two groups and get them to research arguments for and against. Then hold the debate.
• An Abdication of Leadership: Climate Change Absent on the National Political Stage (Global Warming is Real)
• It's Global Warming, Stupid (Bloomberg Businessweek)
• Hurricane Sandy: Global warming, pure and simple (Salon)
• New York's Bloomberg endorses Obama to lead on climate change (The Guardian)