This cartoon by Andy Davey from The Sun relates to news that horse meat has been found in burgers sold by UK supermarket chain Tesco. Most had only small traces, but Tesco has now cleared its shelves after 29 per cent of the 'beef' content of one of its products was actually horse meat. It should be noted that Britain, unlike France, does not have a tradition of eating horse meat. Read more >>
The cartoon shows a man with a gun approaching a group of horses in a snowy field. Two of them are trying to disguise themselves as cows (to avoid being shot by 'that bloke from Tesco').
In British English, bloke is an informal word for man. • He seemed like a nice bloke.
Things could be worse. According to an article in The Independent, "horsemeat is a far more appealing prospect, nutrition-wise, than the mechanically recovered cow bums and lamb nostrils". Enjoy your burger!
'HORSEBURGER' CARTOONS AND JOKES
• Mac cartoon (The Daily Mail)
• Adams comment cartoon (The Telegraph)
• Dave Brown cartoon (The Independent)
• Peter Brookes cartoon (The Times)
• The best Twitter Tesco horse burger jokes (Radio Times)
• The best horse jokes on Twitter (The Mirror)