Last Sunday, teenage New Zealand singer-songwriting prodigy Lorde won two Grammys (Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance) for her song "Royals". In fact, "Royals" is not only a great pop song, it's perfect for teaching English (useful vocabulary, interesting lyrics which actually make sense, and plenty of discussion material), so I did a lesson on it. You can download the worksheets here.
1. First, I showed this video from The Grammys award ceremony.
2. Next, I got the students to do the Lorde Biography Dictation activity in groups of 3.
3. I then took them to the multimedia lab to watch the above video of "Royals" and do the lyric gap-fill worksheet.
4. Finally, I went through the lyrics line by line using this PowerPoint, and got the students to discuss the meaning of the song.
5. Check out the links below for more "Royals" worksheets and discussion.
• Song Worksheet: Royals by Lorde (Busy Teacher)
• Lorde: Royals (worksheet)
• Song Review: "Royals" by Lorde (eslflow.com)
• Lorde Royals Lyrics Analysis (Popdust)
• Royals by Lorde (Songfacts)
• Lorde - Royals (Song Meanings)
• What Does the Song 'Royals' by Lorde Mean? (Quora)
• Lorde's song Royals deserves nuanced critique (The Guardian)