Global warming poses a growing threat to the health, economic prospects, and food and water sources of billions of people, top scientists said in a report that urges swift action to counter the effects of carbon emissions. The latest report from the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says the effects of warming are being felt everywhere, fuelling potential food shortages, natural disasters and raising the risk of wars. Full story >>
In Paul Thomas's Daily Express cartoon, two people are standing on top of the White Cliffs of Dover looking out across the English Channel at a Noah's Ark filled with animals. One says to the other, "Relax - it's only a climate change April Fool's Day stunt.
There may or may not be a nod to the controversial new blockbuster film Noah, starring Russell Crowe, but the message seems to be that we should not be relaxing, if the IPPC's report is anything to go by.
A stunt is something that is done in order to attract people's attention. • A Calgary radio station that burned $5,000 in cash as part of an elaborate publicity stunt is facing a backlash from local listeners.
• Times cartoon (Peter Brookes)
APRIL FOOL'S DAY STORIES
• Union Jack gets a Yes vote makeover (Mail Online)
• Alex Salmond to replace the Queen on new Scottish pound coin (Daily Telegraph)
• King's College Choir announces major change (YouTube)
• Scotland to switch to driving on the right if independence given green light (The Guardian)
• Freedom Food hens lay first square eggs! (YouTube)
• How tech firms are celebrating April Fool's Day (BBC)
• The Internet's best April Fools gags (CNN)
• YouTube Announces Upcoming Viral Video Trends #newtrends (YouTube)
• Best of the Brand Hoaxes (AdWeek)