Clippet is a free app for ioS or Android that delivers 10 news stories every morning in ‘clippets’ (each a minute or less), allowing you to stay on top of the news wherever you are, on or offline. Key features of the app include:
• 10 audio news clippets delivered every weekday morning
• Stories across 4 categories: UK Affairs, Culture, Global and Innovation
• Share Clippets with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, email and text
• Offline playlist: adjust your settings to auto–download the clippets each morning
All news stories are read by Clippet’s team of hand–picked voices. If you’re particularly interested in a news story, you can click the ‘Explore’ compass button which guides you to relevant stories in other media, allowing you to watch, listen, look, read or learn more about the topic.
Clippet is a brilliant app for learners and teachers of English alike. The variety of accents and topics, the sheer number of stories, and the fact that they are all less than one minute long make Clippet a great resource for listening practice. The only thing missing is a transcript, but you can't have everything I suppose.
1. Get students to listen to different stories and present them in their own words to each other in groups.
2. Get students to record their own 'Clippets' based on stories featured in the Yahoo News Digest app (which I reviewed on Tuesday).