Valentine's Day (14 February) is always a good topic for a lesson (see here for resources), and I always like to show my EM Normandie students a few Valentine-related ads. I thought this new one for Galaxy chocolate was particularly well done — and surprising. Adweek has a nice write-up, which you can find here.
There are many ways you could use this ad in the classroom. Here are just a few.
1. Stop the ad at 55s and ask students what product or service they think the ad is for.
2. Stop the ad at 1m11s and ask students how they think the ad will end.
3. Stop the ad at 1m16s and get students to come up with ideas for a slogan.
4. Watch the ad again, eliciting vocabulary.
5. Discuss the meaning behind the ad (Cupid's arrows, etc.)
6. Ask students what the 'message' of the ad is. Is it effective?