A drone is delivering a package to a delighted customer. Meanwhile, a delivery man, who happens to be delivering some parcels by van, comments, "I can look for another job ... like underpaid warehouse worker at Amazon" (which is, of course, meant to be ironic).
1. A warehouse is a building where large quantities of goods are stored, especially before they are sent to shops/stores to be sold. • A strike in Germany and two reports highlight work conditions in Amazon warehouses.
2. If you are underpaid, you are not paid enough for the work you do. • Nurses complain of being overworked and underpaid.
The delivery man needn't worry since it's unlikely that Amazon's drone project will take off in the forseeable future. For a start, the Federal Aviation Administration would need to approve Amazon's flight plans, and the agency hasn't been quick to move on the domestic use of drones. Not to mention problems relating to bad weather, people shooting them down, the risk of collisions, etc, etc.
• The best Twitter jokes about Amazon's drones (CNN)
• Drones Delivery (Cagle Post cartoon collection)
• My week as an Amazon insider (The Guardian)
• Strike, warehouse work reports mar Amazon holiday (USA Today)