Of all this year's Christmas-themed ads, I think this one for Polish auction site Allegro is my favourite. It's touching, funny, and has some excellent ideas for learning English on your own. See below for lesson ideas and background articles.
1. Stop the video at 16s. Ask students what they think the ad is going to be about.
2. Stop the video at 22s. Ask students what they think he's doing on the computer.
3. Stop the video at 30s and ask students what they think is in the box.
4. Stop at 47s. Ask students why they think the old man wants to learn English.
5. Stop ad at 55s. Ask students what advice they would give the old man about learning English on your own.
6. Discuss the various techniques the old man uses to learn English (all of which are excellent!)
7. Stop ad at 1m50. Ask students what they think is in the box.
8. Stop ad at 2m04s. Ask students where they think the man is going.
9. Stop ad at 2m29 and ask who they think he's going to see.
10. Stop ad at 2m37. Ask students who they think the young man and the woman are (his son and his wife, I presume)
11. Ask students how they think the ad is going to end.
12. Show the rest of the ad. Cue handkerchiefs.
13. Q. Who is the little girl? A. His granddaughter.
14. We still don't know what the ad is for, so that can be the final question.
There's also lots of scope for vocabulary practice: lonely, delivery van, kettle, boil, granddaughter, daughter-in-law, etc.
1. Did you notice he mixes up the words for 'knife' and fork'?
2. He also pronounces 'pyjamas' wrongly. See here for correct pronunciation.
It's just as well he doesn't say 'I gonna fuckin' kill you!'
• The Grandpa In This Sweet Ad May Be The New Champion Of Christmas (Huffington Post)
• Grab the Tissues as an Old Man Learns English in This Lovely Holiday Spot From Poland (Creativity)
• Ad of the Day: Polish grandad tugs at the heartstrings in holiday ad for Allegro (The Drum)
• This Very Sweet Holiday Ad Follows a Man on a Mission to Learn English (Adweek)