Today sees the global release of the 23rd James Bond movie, Skyfall. To mark the occasion I did a lesson with my final year EM Normandie marketing students about product placement in Bond movies, in particular the tie-in with Heineken beer, which has upset some fans of the 007 franchise.
We first watched the Skyfall trailer, and then did a comprehension exercise based on the BBC video above (click here to download a questionnaire and transcript). This was followed by a jigsaw reading activity based on articles I'd found about the Heineken/Skyfall deal (see here, here, here, and here). To finish, we did some discussion activities based on this PowerPoint. Have fun!
Get your students to write an essay on one of these topics:
• Does the Heineken beer placement damage the Bond brand?
• What are the pros and cons of product placement?
• Coke Zero 'Skyfall' Stunt Lets People Be James Bond (Huffington Post)
• The Skyfall's the limit on James Bond marketing (The Guardian)
• James Bond drinking Heineken in Skyfall? Whatever next ... (The Independent)
• The Evolution Of James Bond Movie Product Placement (Business Insider)
• Controversial James Bond Heineken Spot Shakes Up Viral Chart (Ad Age)
• The car, the watch, the make-up, the beer advert: James Bond - licence to print money (The Independent)